Sunday, March 11, 2012

Mozzarella Sticks

Now that it is Spring break I have a little more free time, all that means though is that I can spread my "to-do" list over a couple of days!
I also have a list of things that I want to do....just need some spare time!
Here is one I can check off!
Homemade Mozzarella Sticks

 I used low fat 80 calorie mozzarella cheese! Not that Mozzarella sticks are calorie friendly, but that helps!
You need to prepare 3 plates/bowls
1 plate with 1 cup flour
1 plate with 2 eggs
1 plate with the coating


Coating:
1 cup bread crumbs--I used Italian bread crumbs
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp garlic salt
*-You can adjust the seasonings to whatever you like, add or adjust as needed!-*


I cut each cheese stick in half, then you have an assembly line! First dip the cheese in the flour, then the eggs, then the coating. Repeat with all of them!
This step is important!! Place them all on a cookie sheet and place them in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.. The importance of this is when you cook them in the oil, the cheese will not melt right away.


While the mozzarella sticks are in the freezer at the 25 minute mark, start to heat oil, a couple of inches, enough to cover the cheese! You want the oil in the 360 to 370 range, I do not have a thermometer so I just played it by ear. I know if the oil ever gets to hot you can just take it off the burner to let it cool! The mozzarella sticks only need about 2-3 minutes in the oil and you can tell when they are done is what the cheese starts to ooze! 
Enjoy!


-sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment