Sunday, April 29, 2012

Nicaragua


Nicaragua will always hold a special place in my heart. The culture, the community, the people and the kids! One thing that people may know about me is that I love to give, and giving of my time and talents to the Granada community will forever change me. Last summer when Amigos4Learning went, we looked at 5 schools and determined what needed to be fixed and what needed COLOR! We decided to paint and help organize their schools, all the while playing with the children. 

Amigos4Learning are going back this summer to the same community to help out again. This summer we have a different plan in mind. We have learned that the Nicaraguan teachers do not follow a curriculum. We are going throughout the 5 schools in the district and try and get them on the same page. We are also going to help and teach the children Math and English, and also see what repairs or painting needs to be done.
I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am to go back. The excitement in the kids faces is something I will never forget. The day we left I was in tears...those kids will forever tug at my heart!

Now that we have been there once, we know what to expect. We also know how to prepare for this coming summer. Last summer we learned that each student needs a uniform to attend school. Their uniform consists of blue skirt/pants, white socks, a polo shirt, and shoes. Some children were unable to attend school because they did not have the correct attire. When we attend the schools we will be in close contact with the teachers because they will know best which children are in most need. Each uniform costs about $20, and the amount that we raise will determine how many we are able to purchase.

This is where MY talents come into play. I love to bake and give away my sweets. Mostly I just like to see YOU smile! And thanks to all the baking blogs that I am frequently on, I have found a lot of recipes that I want to try. I will be baking 1 or 2 times weekly and will post on my blog the recipe (in case of allergies) and I will have them available at school for minimum donations of $1 per item.
Any donation is welcome, and none of it will go in my pocket. My donation will be buying the supplies to make the deliciousness!

So while you are spring cleaning......
Other donations that would be greatly appreciated:

Monetary donations
kids toys such as Frisbees, jump ropes, sidewalk chalk, balls
School Supplies such as pencils, sharpeners, notebooks, counters, manipulatives
Hair ties, bows, headbands, clips
simple kids games
easy-to-read books, for beginner English speakers.

HERE are pictures from last summer
and HERE is where you can see more!
-sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment